Monday, January 5, 2009

The Snuggie Infomercial

I love TV. I really do. It's always there for me... even at 4 a.m. when I can't fall asleep or find anything else to do. But I don't watch late (or late late) night television in hopes of finding great new ads to blog about, no sir. Sadly, the early morning ad slots are dominated by the most despicable breed of commercial there is: the infomercial. You can't escape the tube after midnight without being pummeled by Extenz, emersed in Billy Mays, or bothered with moronic inventions like HD vision, electric Amish products, personal noise enhancers, or the next new miracle doodad that will get you into shape with no effort exerted whatsoever. It's the ads like these that generate hate and give TV ads in general a bad name. One reason why I have yet to criticize these types of commercials is because it's too damn easy. Like this one for the Snuggie, a blanket with sleeves.



Wow! Now I can stay warm while talking on the phone and look like an asshat- all at the same time!

Who buys this crap? To answer that question, I have drawn up a logical and honest flow chart.



I really can't see why a simple sweatshirt wouldn't suffice. Also, that Snuggie has to generate enough static electricity to send you into a coma. A well-deserved coma.

If you bought a Snuggie or have ever purchased something from an infomercial like this one, I truly and genuinely hate you.

Guru Grade: 1 / 10
(The only thing keeping it from zero was the slight humor it emanated by assuming anyone on the planet would actually buy their mindless product.)

0 comments: